The next Finance Network Meeting will take place on December 15th from 11:00 – 12:30 and the key session will be “Charity Legal Structures”. The presenter will be Nick Vaughan, of Paris Smith LLP who has been a volunteer consultant with Cranfield Trust since early 2020. To book your place, and / or to subsequently receive a copy of the recording of the event and the slides, please email John.Fox@ageuk.org.uk with: your name and role title; the name of the Brand Partner you are representing; and the email address to which the follow-up material should be sent. Read on to find out all about the meeting, along with a save the date for January’s meeting.
Over the past 18 months, the Financial Governance Team have discussed charity legal structures with several local Age UKs, following a number of questions raised by partners. So, whether you are looking at changing your business model or want to sense-check that your governance structures are appropriate and fit for purpose as we move towards the next financial year, this will be a very useful session to attend.
The following topic areas will be included:
- Use of Subsidiary Companies for non-primary purpose trading, and consideration of their use for primary purpose trading also
- Risk considerations – the avoidance of risk to charity assets
- Independent governance (not all the charity trustees are directors of the subsidiary, and vice versa)
- Financing aspects – start-up funding; working capital; investment / loans (from the parent charity)
- Shared premises / staff / facilities – cross-charging / management charges
- Use of charity logo by subsidiary companies
To book your place, and / or to subsequently receive a copy of the recording of the event and the slides, please email John.Fox@ageuk.org.uk with: your name and role title; the name of the Brand Partner you are representing; and the email address to which the follow-up material should be sent. Read on to find out all about the meeting.
January Finance Network Meeting – Save the Date
With lots of staff set to take leave over the next few weeks, we wanted to flag that the January Finance Network meeting will take place on 19th January 2022 from 11:00 – 12:30. Nick Wilkie, former charity chief executive, government policy adviser and visiting lecturer at The Centre for Charity Effectiveness, will present on the primary topic: Big Plans, Strategy and Business Models.
Nick will share his personal perspectives on leading and landing strategy. Sharing experience not expertise, failure more than triumph, he will reflect broadly across the subject including:
- making sure everyone in the organisation knows where true north is;
- knowing who the beneficiaries really are;
- ensuring all decision-makers properly understand the balance sheet and business model;
- why things go wrong and how they might get fixed.
This session is primarily aimed at CEOs, although FDs and trustees will be more than welcome, as ever.
Please save the date in your diaries now, as this promises to be a great session.