Welcome to the first edition of our new Chairs and Governance Roundup, a collection of recent resources, news, and upcoming events for Board Members of local Age UKs. Read on for details of our upcoming online briefing session for Chairs of local Age UKs, a list of the latest resources to support you in your role, and an upcoming free trustee training course from Hempsons.
“Being part of the Age UK Network” – online briefing session for Chairs of local Age UKs
Age UK and the Age England Association (AEA) are offering all Chairs at local Age UKs the opportunity to find out more about the support and resources that are available to local Age UKs and Age Cymru local partners.
This online briefing session will take place on the following dates:
- Wednesday 24 August from 9am to 11am
- Wednesday 21 September from 9am to 11am
The aims of the session are:
- To give an overview of the Age UK network, your organisation’s partnership with Age UK and the role of the Age England Association (AEA)
- To share experience with peers on chairing, good governance, leadership and more
- To find out where to go for more detail on the support and collaboration opportunities available
There are up to 20 places at each session and all Chairs are welcome. These events may be of interest if you have been appointed as Chair quite recently or if would like a refresher on the benefits of being part of a network with a shared purpose and brand.
Please let us know if you would like to take part but cannot make either of the above dates and we will organise further sessions.
Booking your place
To book, please email BSupportAdmin@ageuk.org.uk. We will send an invitation to an online Microsoft Teams meeting nearer to the date.
If you have any questions about the content of the sessions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources to support Chairs and Trustees with good governance
Age UK provides a number of online resources aimed at supporting Chairs and trustees to deliver excellent governance of local Age UK charities.
The resources include:
- Pointers to the key Charity Commission guidance
- A link to the Association of Chairs, an independent membership group which supports Chairs from all charities
- Ideas on recruiting and retaining trustees
- Guidance on CEO appraisals
- Information on Age UK network quality standards
- A briefing on the Charity Governance Code
- Sources of support for local Age UKs relating to service development, funding, finance and more
- Template governing documents for local Age UKs – useful when reviewing your constitution
These resources can be found on the loop – the intranet for the Age UK network – by clicking here.
If you do not have access to ‘the loop’ then please contact email@example.com
NCVO Governance Roundup – July 2022
The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) have released their governance roundup for July, with the latest news, resources, and training for Board members. This includes an update from Reach Volunteering, who have added new resources to their Trustee Recruitment Cycle resource pack.
Hempsons’ Free Trustee Training Webinars – November 2022
Hempsons are delighted to announce that their annual trustee training will now be held online. They will be joined by haysmacintyre, charity accountants, who have supported the trustee training for a number of years.
The course will share experiences of some of the governance lessons that charities have learnt through the pandemic and as they re-focus strategy afterwards. These include an acceleration in decision-making and implementation. Organisational speed of response has been enabled by streamlined, focused delegation and greater board entrustment of staff and volunteers. Other efficiencies can include proportionate reporting to the board on the core areas they need to measure.
The programme has been split into three separate sessions, which can be attended as a full programme, or individually – the sessions are interlinked and build on each other. It has been designed for charity Trustees and Chief Executives, and is suitable for those new in post as well as the more experienced who are wanting a refresher.