Charitylog

Most, but not all, partners use Charitylog in some way within their organisation. They have become a trusted provider of data management for many over the last 10 years and continue to work closely with Age UK.

There are challenges as each relationship is unique and there is no easy way of sharing or merging data and we have no established ways of sharing training or lessons learnt. Charitylog are keen to work with us to develop better ways of working together.

If you would like any further information, want to share your experience, or get involved, please contact us on NetworkInfrastructure@ageuk.org.uk

Latest Update – 09/03/21

The work we have done with the Charitylog user groups in the last 6 months has given us a lot of food for thought.  We have listened to the observations from the partners and started to follow up on the points that have been raised, more on which below.

However, this has led us to consider how best to take the Charitylog relation forwards.  We recognise that this is an important system for many partners, therefore Age UK has talked to both Charitylog and the AEA and, in discussion with the Network Infrastructure Steering Group, agreed that the Network Infrastructure Programme needs to lean into the relationship.  This will let us work with partners in a more joined up way to improve both the system and more importantly, our collective and effective use of it.

Age UK has agreed to identify resources that will enable continued working with the user groups and the development of our relationship with Charitylog.  This will allow us to drive forward the changes we have identified from the user groups and also to help to make better use of the system across the whole network.

In January the Training sub-group meeting identified a number of ways in which we could work together and Charitylog will come to the next meeting to allow us to plan a training programme for the next 12 months.

The Reporting sub-group heard how one of our partners is exploring the use of Power BI reports developed with a consultant to provide insight into their activities and the next session will look at how these are now being used.  Another partner is also looking at this way of working and this has the potential to materially improve our use of Charitylog.

The Volunteering sub-group spent two hours sharing working practices.  Charitylog are looking at how the whole volunteering module works and want to work with us to see how they can improve this.

Finally, the Accounting System sub-group looked at the potential to build a link between Charitylog and Sage. The consultants working on the Power BI tool have experience of these links and are looking for a group of partners to develop this with.  If you would be prepared to be involved in that please let us know at networkinfrastructure@ageuk.org.uk.

In order to keep the momentum going we now plan to hold further meetings in April.  If you want to join any of the groups, please drop us a line at networkinfrastructure@ageuk.org.uk


Events & Demos

Check back soon for the latest Events and Demos!

All Updates

View all updates
13/08/20

We have had a meeting with Charitylog to discuss future actions.  They have offered to make available some training videos they have developed.  We need to re-establish the user group at a national level and also to encourage and assist in the establishment of more local groups.

07/09/20

We are writing to the existing Charitylog user group members to restart it.  The plan is to have a virtual meeting on 23 September to discuss how we are currently using the system and look at ways in which we can improve our use of the system.

We plan to establish some smaller user groups working with Charitylog to help with cross training and development.  If you have an interest in participating in a Charitylog user group, please let us know.

29/09/20

A virtual Charitylog user group meeting took place on 23 September with attendees from the Nations, Brand Partners and Age UK.

They discussed many of the common issues and it was agreed that a further meeting would be held in October which Charitylog would attend to update everyone on progress they are making on new developments.

A number of common themes were identified and it was agreed that a number of smaller working groups would be established to enable these topics to be explored in more detail.  We will share the learnings and developments here on the Network Infrastructure Hub.  We would welcome anyone who is interested in joining any of these groups to contact us.  See below for more details:

Use of the volunteering module

We rely heavily on the fantastic help we receive from over 25,000 volunteers.  However volunteers are not free; they take time to recruit, train and support and many partners use Charitylog for that.  It is clear that this is used in different ways so this group will look at how this is being done and suggest best practice use of Charitylog.

Interaction with accounting systems

It is notoriously difficult for non-financial systems to interface with accounting systems and for many this means they have to rely on spreadsheets or even re inputting data into their accounts.  This group will look at how we currently work and seek to improve this starting with the linkage with the Sage accounting system as this is the one many (but not all) Partners currently use. 

Use of the Call Round system and interactions with mobile staff

We have seen an increasing move to distance working and the use of mobile telephony has become more important.  We learnt that one of the group has been able to work with a provider which can deliver a mobile app for staff and know of other Partners using differing telecoms providers.

This group will review the current use of Call Round and also how best to link this with mobile technology options.

Reporting templates

We rely heavily on the analysis of the information held within the Charitylog system for evidencing our impact and reporting outcomes to many parties.  We know that this is an area that frustrates many and takes up a considerable amount of time.  We learnt about one partner who has developed some reporting based on Microsoft Power BI.

Given the importance of reporting it was agreed that a sub-group would be established to look at this and to work towards creating some standard reporting tools with partners and Charitylog.

Invoicing Module

Some partners make use of the invoicing module whilst others clearly have issues with this and some have to re-post invoices even if created in the system.  It was agreed that a group should look at this to identify best practice and also lessons for others who use this module.

Further meetings

The group will meet again in October and Charitylog will be asked to attend to update us on their progress.

We are also planning to hold the first meeting for each of the sub-groups in mid-October.

If you are interested in being involved with any of these sub groups please would you send a note to NetworkInfrastructure@ageuk.org.uk indicating which group you would like to join.

09/11/20

We have continued to work with partners in the network and with Charitylog, to look at how we can work better both by sharing knowledge and also looking for ways either we or Charitylog can improve our systems.

We had a full Charitylog user group meeting in September and then 5 sub-groups meetings took place in mid-October to look at Invoicing, interactions with accounting systems, volunteering, call round and reporting.

On 28 October the user group met again when we were joined by Charitylog. We had a very productive two hour meeting looking at many aspects of the system and how we use it and requests for improvements.

In order to keep the momentum we plan to hold 4 more sub group meetings (having decided to merge the invoicing and accounting system groups into one) and the following meetings will now take place in November

  • Volunteering – 17th November 10.30 -11.30
  • Invoicing and accounting systems interactions – 17th November 2.30 – 3.30
  • Reporting – 18th November 10.30 – 11.30
  • Call Round and Telecoms – 18th November 2.00 – 3.00
  • Full user group – 25th November 10.30 to 12.30

If you wish to be included in any of these meetings please let us know as all are welcome. Charitylog will give us a further update at the full meeting and will also attend the invoicing group as this is a particularly important group where we have identified there is a real need for us to develop the process and interfaces between Charitylog and our various accounting systems.

01/12/20

If you haven’t already, please check out the latest Charitylog Blog (or Clog Blog for short!)

We have continued to work with partners in the network and with Charitylog, to look at how we can work better both by sharing knowledge and also looking for ways either we or Charitylog can improve our systems.

We held full Charitylog user group meetings and sub-groups meetings to look at invoicing, interactions with accounting systems, volunteering, call round and reporting in both October and November.

We were joined by Charitylog in a number of the meetings and we had a very productive two hour meeting looking at many aspects of the system and how we use it and requests for improvements.

In order to keep the momentum we plan to hold 5 more sub group meetings in January, having decided to set up a new group to look specifically at training, both as a need from us but also at what Charitylog can provide and to think about how we can work better together to share knowledge.  Take a look at the Events & Demos section below to see the events that will now take place in January.

If you or any of your colleagues would like to get involved in any of these meetings, please let us know  as all are welcome. Charitylog will give us a further update at the full meeting and may also attend some of the sub group meetings to which they will be invited.

See Also